Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (81)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: The Forsaken
Author: Lisa M. Stasse
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: S&S Books for Young Readers

From Goodreads:

A thought-provoking and exciting start to a riveting new dystopian trilogy.

As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.


The cover looks rather old-fashioned, or at least something out of the 1980's. Like, science fiction book covers from the 80's. Maybe it's just me. Still, this sounds rather interesting. (Makes me wish I knew who to contact at S&S Canada about review copies.)

6 comments:

  1. I agree about the cover, but I love it! It's definitely on my wishlist!
    my WoW post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't really sold on this... So I better keep my eyes out for reviews that most probably would convince me of this book. But great pick anyway :D

    Drop by my WoW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the retro feel to this cover, definitely agree that it looks like a sci-fi from the 80's, perhaps that's what they were going for? Can't say I'd pick it up if I saw it on a shelf and didn't know anything about it though.

    And just go on the S+S website and shoot an email to the canada publicity department, they'll send it to the right place. Request a review copy is even on the drop down menu. Hope that helps!

    http://www.simonandschuster.ca/about/contact_us

    ComaCalm's WoW Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  4. I featured this one awhile ago. I'm really excited to read it. :D

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pick that I am going to have to check out!


    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    My WoW - http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2102

    ReplyDelete