Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (290)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: A Darkly Beating Heart
Author: Lindsay Smith
Release Date: October 25, 2016
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press (Macmillan imprint)

From Goodreads:

A time-travel story that alternates between modern day and 19th century Japan as one girl confronts the darkness lurking in her soul.

No one knows what to do with Reiko. She is full of hatred. All she can think about is how to best hurt herself and the people closest to her. After a failed suicide attempt, Reiko’s parents send her from their Seattle home to spend the summer with family in Japan to learn to control her emotions. But while visiting Kuramagi, a historic village preserved to reflect the nineteenth-century Edo period, Reiko finds herself slipping back in time into the life of Miyu, a young woman even more bent on revenge than Reiko herself. Reiko loves being Miyu, until she discovers the secret of Kuramagi village, and must face down Miyu’s demons as well as her own.

I've seen a lot of people say how good this book is, how raw and powerful it is. But even without those comments, the description definitely has me hooked. Japan? Flawed, complicated heroine? Some vague kind of time travel? Secrets and demons? YES.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this one sounds extremely interesting. I'm adding it to my TBR! Thanks for highlighting this one this week!

    My #WoW is on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read many books set in Japan but this one sounds so cool. It looks like a great read so thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh nice choice! I received an ARC of this earlier in the month so I'll definitely be reading it and reviewing around the time of publication. Hope you can check out my thoughts! I'm also learning Japanese right now so it would be nice to get some influence from Japanese culture in books. Hope it's done well :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I do like time travel books. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
    Check out my WOW

    ReplyDelete