Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (198)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: None of the Above
Author: I.W. Gregorio
Release Date: April 28, 2015
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins imprint)

From Goodreads:

Middlesex meets Mean Girls in this one-of-a-kind YA debut.

What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an instant? 

When Kristin Lattimer is voted homecoming queen, it seems like another piece of her ideal life has fallen into place. She’s a champion hurdler with a full scholarship to college and she’s madly in love with her boyfriend. In fact, she’s decided that she’s ready to take things to the next level with him.

But Kristin’s first time isn’t the perfect moment she’s planned—something is very wrong. A visit to the doctor reveals the truth: Kristin is intersex, which means that though she outwardly looks like a girl, she has male chromosomes, not to mention boy “parts.”

Dealing with her body is difficult enough, but when her diagnosis is leaked to the whole school, Kristin’s world completely unravels. With everything she thought she knew thrown into question, can she come to terms with her new self?

Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, None of the Above is a thought-provoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between.

I really really want to read this. How often do you come across a book with an intersex protagonist? I read Middlesex years ago (and again more recently) and loved it, so I'm interested in how this is going to be told, how much gender, sexuality, and identity will be involved. Middlesex was all internal, though. It was rather private and just in the family. This sounds like it's going to be public and extremely painful.

But the Mean Girls comparison, though... I'm super wary of that.

5 comments:

  1. this is going to be a very, very interesting read. i'm excited to read the early reviews and hear what readers thought of it. awesome pick :)

    hope you can stop by my WoW Post.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds really good. I will definitely add it to my TBR. Thanks for sharing, and happy Wednesday! :)
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cover and blurb. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Hump Day!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I really hope this is good as well! (Ps have you read Golden Boy? I think you may like it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I've never read any YA book that focuses on this subject before. I've never even heard of one, though, clearly, there's been at least one (I just looked up Golden Boy too). I will definitely have to check out both books. Thanks for sharing!!

    Here's My WoW.

    ReplyDelete