Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (269)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: Company Town
Author: Madeline Ashby
Release Date: May 17, 2016
Publisher: Tor

From Goodreads:

They call it Company Town--a city-sized oil rig off the coast of the Canadian Maritimes, now owned by one very wealthy, powerful, byzantine family: Lynch Ltd.

Hwa is of the few people in her community (which constitutes the whole rig) to forgo bio-engineered enhancements. As such, she's the last truly organic person left on the rig--making her doubly an outsider, as well as a neglected daughter and bodyguard extraordinaire. Still, her expertise in the arts of self-defense and her record as a fighter mean that her services are yet in high demand. When the youngest Lynch needs training and protection, the family turns to Hwa. But can even she protect against increasingly intense death threats seemingly coming from another timeline?

Meanwhile, a series of interconnected murders threatens the city's stability and heightens the unease of a rig turning over. All signs point to a nearly invisible serial killer, but all of the murders seem to lead right back to Hwa's front door. Company Town has never been the safest place to be--but now, the danger is personal.

A brilliant, twisted mystery, as one woman must evaluate saving the people of a town that can't be saved, or saving herself.

This all sounds rather intriguing. The family empire aspect, the sci-fi bio-engineering aspect, the murders and mystery aspect.

6 comments:

  1. I saw this on Netgalley and it piqued mt interest but I don't know if I would really read it early so I think I will wait until its released and I've seen a few reviews. Hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good mystery and as a Canadian, I love that it's set in Canada :D Awesome pick^^ Thanks for bringing this one to my attention! Happy hump day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of an oil rig mixed in with a mystery and murder- sounds fun. And time travel? This one could be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting! Plus the cover is lovely. I might check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic -- and such an awesome, awesome cover! Here's mine: http://editingeverything.com/blog/2016/03/08/wow-borderline/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one does sound interesting. I've not seen it around before. I hope you enjoy it though.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know
    Also, I have a giveaway going on for my 5th Blogoversary.

    ReplyDelete