Saturday, June 13, 2015

Me on This Week's Book Week (158)

This Week's Book Week is rather similar to Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only with far more rambling and a less witty title. ;)

*continues to melt under the heat*

No books this week. I blame the heat. So hot. But then Friday was all windy and so cold.

I did go to the comic book store, though, but again, I'm never sure if you all are interested in my thoughts on comics and webcomics. As always, if you're looking to start reading comics, here are some suggestions.

  • Saga. This got me into reading comics more regularly. It's fantasy plus sci-fi plus conflict plus relationships plus a lot of graphic adult-type situations (sex, childbirth, gore, swearing, etc.). It's really good. I realized the other day that I've been picking up the single issues of this series for almost 2 years.
  • The Wicked + the Divine. It's full of mythology and an angsty, lost, floundering girl and loads of metaphors that I just can't wrap my head around, but I really like it.
  • Pretty Deadly. Death and magic meets the wild west, but when the second arc starts up in the fall, it'll be set during World War I. Emma Ríos' artwork is gorgeous.
  • Ms. Marvel. This series is so good. It's about Kamala discovering she's now a superhero, yes, but also about her being a teenage girl and being Muslim and navigating all these different spaces. There is some reference made to other Marvel superheroes, but I think newbies should be good.
  • Gotham Academy. An expensive boarding school full of mystery and secrets anchored by two intelligent female characters. The nice thing? You don't need to know anything about Batman or the DC universe before you read it.

There are other comics I've sort of read that look interesting, like Rocket Girl, Lumberjanes, and Fables, and you're welcome to check those out as well. It's just that I've read the above ones more. Which comics would you recommend?

Reviews going up this coming week will feature Tangled Webs by Lee Bross (Tuesday) and A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes (Friday). :)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on no new books this week! Sometimes you just need one of those. Have a great week!

    SP & STS
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to have to check out Saga. I've been hearing tons of great things and I think I'd love it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would recommend the Fables series if you haven't already tried it.

    ReplyDelete