Saturday, February 23, 2013

Me on This Week's Book Week (40)

This Week's Book Week is like Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only it's a little goofier. ;)

On Monday evening, we had a sort of Vancouver blogger meet-up, even though I just saw Caitlin and Nafiza at ALAMW. But I saw Alita and Jenny, who I hadn't seen in a while so that was nice. :) And we met a couple of girls who work at Raincoast Books, Melissa and Megan. Raincoast is a book distributor, they handle distribution for publishers who don't have a Canadian office or branch, publishers like Macmillan and Tor and Chronicle Books and Sourcebooks. It was so nice to meet them. Unlike the Toronto blogger girls (who are all adorable), we don't have a lot of meet-ups or publisher events to go to, so it was nice to hang out with new book people. And they brought us books. :) Of course, there was a fair amount of us saying, "I picked it up at ALA," when books were unpacked, like with Absent by Katie Williams (witty high school ghost story and Nobody's Secret by Michaela MacColl (15 year old Emily Dickinson mystery), but they brought some other books, too. :)

I'm thinking of having a day during the Canadian YA Lit event where everyone posts their thoughts on the same topic and links back here and everyone shares. Like, there would be a set day where everyone interested, bloggers and authors and everyone who wants to, posts their thoughts on Canadian YA/YA in Canada, and then links to everyone participating would be here and you can read what other people think. Thoughts?

Today I heard rumours that Sarah Rees Brennan might be joining Cassie Clare at her BC stop for the Clockwork Princess tour near the end of March. How interesting. ;)

I had a weird depressive morning on Thursday but then I pulled myself out of it by pre-outlining a book idea and listening to random music. I think I needed to work out some angst and work out an idea I've had for more than a year.

Received:
Marco Impossible by Hannah Moskowitz (I adore Hannah's books. Also, I want more LGBTQ middle grade.)
Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally
Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox

Borrowed from the library:
Forgotten by Cat Patrick (audiobook) (I'm testing out some audiobooks to see if I want to listen to more of them. I have a finished copy so I might read along.)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh nice books! I hope you enjoy them! :)

    Check out my StS post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things I Can't Forget was a brilliant read! I read it a couple weeks ago and ended up loving it! I hope you enjoy it. I've never heard of Mortal Fire butI like the cover!
    Great book haul!

    Here's mine :
    http://nicksbookblog93.blogspot.com/2013/02/book-haul-monthly-recap-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its my first time hearing about this and you have made me super excited now. So fingers crossed that the Sarah Rees Brennan rumors are true.

    ReplyDelete