Saturday, February 16, 2013

Me on This Week's Book Week (39)

This Week's Book Week is like Stacking the Shelves hosted by Tynga's Reviews only with more of my rambling. ;)

Hello, peoples. How was your week? I'm genuinely curious how your week was, pretty readers, since I tell you about my week without you even asking. :) On Monday I'll be seeing a bunch of Vancouver/Lower Mainland bloggers (some I just saw at ALAMW) for a meet-up. Yay for socializing in real life. :)

I mailed out some books this week, so if you're one of the 4 people I owe books to you'll be getting it soon. Sending 1 book (trade paperback/ARC size) to the US (small packet air US): $10. Sending 1 book the same size across Canada (regular parcel): $12. THIS IS NOT RIGHT.  We so need that media mail thing the US has. Or some kind of flat rate box option.

I'm starting to plan for the Canadian YA Lit Event for this year. It'll be the same as last year, May 1st to 14th, with a mix of returning and new authors who are willing to talk about things. :) Again, any suggestions of authors to contact or books to review are welcome. I have to give a shout-out to the awesome Kathleen Peacock for her overall enthusiasm and her mad excitement in taking part again. Kathleen is all kinds of awesome, her book Hemlock is out now and Thornhill comes out this September. :)

Question: is the new trend in YA siblings/twins/alternate versions of the same character? Look at Dualed, Linked, 3:59, Mind Games, Tandem, and a bunch of other books I can't think of at the moment. The 'what if there was another you in a different life that's better on the outside but is really worse on the inside and you should be grateful for the life you have' idea seems to be popping up more and more.

I had to go to the dentist this week. I'm a little surprised that, after not being covered under any kind of medical insurance for the past few years, I still go to the dentist and pay for it. I think it's because my grandmother had false teeth and she never once didn't complain about how much they hurt. I still have my wisdom teeth, but it's possible I'll never need them removed. *knocks on wood* My sister had hers taken out right before her coverage expired, I sort of wish I'd thought of that.

I've been playing Minecraft on and off since last fall, mostly on right now because I always get caught up in mining for diamonds. They're so hard to find but I'm fascinated by the rareness of them. Also getting different colours of wool. I giggled like mad when I learned I could hit a sheep with a blue stone and get a blue sheep. :)

Now, to the books! No colour-matching this week. Nuts. ;)
Received to review:
Linked by Imogen Howson (thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada)

Borrowed from the library:
Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz (What is it with me and completing a series right now? This'll be the third one so far this year after Destined and The Goddess Inheritance.)
City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

3 comments:

  1. It's so cool that you're going to a blogger meet up on Monday!! I'm such an awkward person in real life, that it's not really often that I go to a meet-up. I normally just hang out with some book bloggers when I go to bookish events and such. ;) I hope you have a ton of fun! And I hadn't even thought about that whole thing with sister/alternate type books. But you're totally right, this year seems to be filled with them! I'm still excited for all of them, though. ;)

    I'm really, really excited to read Linked. I wish I could get my hands on an ARC! I suppose I'll just have to wait until it releases... *sighs dramatically*

    Lovely books, and happy reading! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The City of the Thousand Dolls. Such a fun book. And I'm super intrigued about Linked!

    I hadn't realized the sibling thing was becoming a trend. I'll have to check out some of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul :) I noticed Breathe by Sarah Crossan is on your to-read Goodreads widget. I just finished it about a week-ish ago and I really liked it. A good dystopian. I hope you enjoy your books.

    New follower GFC :) Megan @ Megz Madd Readz

    ReplyDelete