Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (169)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: The Strange Maid
Author: Tessa Gratton
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers

From Goodreads:

Fans of Neil Gaiman, Holly Black, and Maggie Stiefvater will embrace the richly drawn, Norse-influenced alternate world of the United States of Asgard, where cell phones, rock bands, and evangelical preachers coexist with dragon slaying, rune casting, and sword training in schools. Where the president runs the country alongside a council of Valkyries, gods walk the red carpet with Hollywood starlets, and the U.S. military has a special battalion dedicated to eradicating Rocky Mountain trolls. 

Signy Valborn was seven years old when she climbed the New World Tree and met Odin Alfather, who declared that if she could solve a single riddle, he would make her one of his Valkyrie. For ten years Signy has trained in the arts of war, politics, and leadership, never dreaming that a Greater Mountain Troll might hold the answer to the riddle, but that’s exactly what Ned the Spiritless promises her. A mysterious troll hunter who talks in riddles and ancient poetry, Ned is a hard man to trust. Unfortunately, Signy is running out of time. Accompanied by an outcast berserker named Soren Bearstar, she and Ned take off across the ice sheets of Canadia to hunt the mother of trolls and claim Signy’s destiny.

I love Tessa's books and the way they tell me stories. I love how her writing always makes me sit up and listen. I'm really looking forward to this book, this series that mixes modern day with Norse mythology. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have never guess that this is the sequel to the The Lost Sun. The cover is so different.

    My WOW          

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm this one is new to me but I like the cover and it sounds very intriguing - thanks for sharing!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hearing such great things about this series. I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete