Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (158)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: The Geography of You and Me
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Publisher: Poppy (Hachette Book Group imprint)

From Goodreads:

Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

You all know me, so you know I don't read a lot of contemporary or realistic fiction, but I've come to realize this year that there's a certain kind of contemporary YA that I will read. It'll be funny, sweet, not too cutesy, will often involve international travel, and will also have some real life teen angst issues (see Anna and the French Kiss, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, Drummer Girl, and The Fine Art of Truth or Dare). Also, once I reach the end I will want to know more. Like, who else wants to know what happened to Hadley and Oliver after The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight ended?

4 comments:

  1. I don't read many contemporary novels either but Jennifer E. Smith is definitely an exception. She creates such lovely unconventional love stories and I can't wait for The Geography of You and Me to be released too!

    Happy Wednesday!

    My WoW: http://wp.me/p3aBb6-tu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. Love the title and cover, thanks for sharing!
    Check out our WOW of this week.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though, I do want to know more about what happened with them, I kind of like the open ending, so you can choose for yourself. I finished This is What Happy Looks Like last week, and it's the same with that, which I really love. :) And I picked The Geography of You and Me last week. :D

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same as you. I'm not a huge contemporary fan but every now certain books will call out to me and I'll fall head over heels with them. Which is what happened with The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Hoping for a repeat with this book

    ReplyDelete