Friday, April 29, 2016

Me on The Raven King

Title: The Raven King
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: April 26, 2016
Publisher: Scholastic Press

All her life, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love's death. She doesn't believe in true love and never thought this would be a problem, but as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

The Raven King is the end of a journey.

This is a bit of a non-traditional review from me, mostly because I don't want to give anything away in terms of the plot.

I can't speak on what the series is about, what the author intended with these books (but I can link to this post where Maggie says it's "a series about what makes a hero and about wanting more"). I can really only speak on what I think (emphasis intended) this book, this series, this book, is about. How it's about magic and long dead Welsh kings. About angry boys and lonely girls. About dreamers and searchers, psychics and sleepers. About finding lost things in secret places. About seeing the magic in everyday things and places. About living in the now and fearing the future. About mortality and immortality. About what makes a person a parent. About being lost and being found. About being in love. About what makes a group of people a family.

But the thing about this series, this thing that struck me the hardest, is that the story isn't over. The books are just glimpses, moments in time. After the last word is read, after the last page is turned, the story continues. Time moves forward. And wondering what happens after the book ends, where the characters go? That's the fun part. That's where my mind went, wandering over mountains and between the trees.

On a personal note, I love this series. I love being enchanted by this series, by these characters and these circumstances, by this magic and wonder and impossibilities made possible. And so I was ready for the ride this book was bound to take me on, wondering what I'd see along the way and, at the end, where I'd be left behind.

(I purchased a copy of this title.)

No comments:

Post a Comment