Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Me on Waiting on Wednesday (223)

Waiting on Wednesday is a bunch of weekly fun hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. :)

Title: The Awesome
Author: Eva Darrows
Release Date: May 26, 2015
Publisher: Ravenstone

From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Maggie Cunningham is tough, smart, and sassy. She's also not like other girls her age, but then, who would be when the family business is monster hunting? Combat boots, ratty hooded sweatshirts, and hair worn short so nothing with claws can get a grip, Maggie's concerns in life slant more toward survival than fashion or boys. Which presents a problem when Maggie's mother informs Maggie that she can't get her journeyman's license for hunting until she loses her virginity.

Something about virgin blood turning vampires into pointy rage monsters. Blood and gore and insides being on the outside and all that. 

Maggie's battled ghosts and goblins and her fair share of house brownies, but finding herself a boy - fitting in with her peers - proves a much more daunting task than any monster hunt. Did you know normal girls don't stuff their bras with holy water balloons? Nor do they carry wooden stakes in their waistbands. And they care about things like "matching" and "footwear." Of course, they also can't clean a gun blindfolded, shoot a crossbow, or exorcise ghosts from a house. Which means they're lame and Maggie's not. Because Maggie's awesome. The Awesome, in fact. Just ask her. She'd be more than happy to tell you. 

After she finds herself a date.

This sounds bizarre, and the cover looks like a cult classic movie poster, but there's just something about it that intrigues me. Perhaps it's Maggie. There's something about how she's described that makes me want to check this out. She reminds me of Buffy. Maybe that's it.

5 comments:

  1. This was my WoW last week, and I really can't wait to read it. It just sounds so..well, awesome. :) Great pick, and thanks for sharing. :)
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, this book sounds great! I thought it would be something like supernatural, but the book sounds bizarre and fun. I like how Maggie is described almost like Buffy, and how she needs to go on a date.

    My Waiting on Wednesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA! This sounds so weird yet so cool! It's totally new to me, too. Awesome pick!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an ARC of this that I plan on reading in the next few weeks. Keep an eye on my blog for a review in the near future. I loved the cover and couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like the book! Check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete