Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Me on Romeo Redeemed

Title: Romeo Redeemed
Author: Stacey Jay
Release Date: October 9, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (Random House imprint)

Cursed to live out eternity in his rotted corpse, Romeo, known for his ruthless ways, is given the chance to redeem himself by traveling back in time to save the life of Ariel Dragland. Unbeknownst to her, she's important to both the evil Mercenaries and the love-toting Ambassadors, and holds the fate of the world in her hands. Romeo must win her heart and make her believe in love, to turn her away from her darker potential. While his seduction begins as yet another lie, it soon becomes his only truth. He vows to protect her from harm, but when she is led to believe his love is a deception, she becomes vulnerable, and her own inner darkness might be what rips them apart.

Romeo Redeemed is the other side of a retelling of an epic love story. What first began in Juliet Immortal continues here, only here we have Romeo's chance at redemption, a chance to make things right after growing a conscience in the first book.

Ariel is a rather battered and ragged heroine, scarred and neglected. It's possible that what she needs isn't Romeo and his sweet words, but it's what she gets and what she latches onto.

Romeo is a very different sort of Romeo this time around. Maybe he's a little weaker, maybe he's a little smarter, maybe he's a little more conflicted in terms of his purpose this time around, but it'll all come down to his will. Will he be able to make Ariel fall in love with him? And when things get dangerous and deadly, will he be able to save her?

The second I finished reading this, I was rather confused how how I would write this review. It wasn't that I hated the book, and neither did I love it. In the end, I couldn't connect with it. I'm not sure why, I rather enjoyed the first book. I was satisfied with how this ended, satisfied that there was an ending, but I'm still pondering the reason for the disconnect.

That being said, I would recommend this to those who enjoyed Juliet Immortal, those who were intrigued at the prospect of Romeo getting his own chance at a happy ending.

(I received an e-galley of this title to review from Random House through NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment