Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Me on There You'll Find Me

Title: There You'll Find Me
Author: Jenny B. Jones
Release Date: October 4, 2011
Publisher: Thomas Nelson

When Finley Sinclair travels to Ireland, she hopes to find a new identity and get some answers from the God who took her brother and seems to have left her high and dry. But from the moment Beckett Rush, teen star of vampire flicks, sits next to her on the plane, nothing goes according to Finley's plan. Finley soon feels the pressure all around, from school, from her music, from her struggle to find God, and when things start to fall apart, she begins to rely on a not so healthy method of taking control. For the first time in her life, Finley has to be honest with herself to get right with God.

An emotional book about loss, a crisis of faith, learning when to stop and listen, and learning that it's okay to ask for help and lean on others.

I really liked Finley. What was most interesting about her was all of her problems. Her brother was dead, she was panicking about an audition in New York, some girls at her new school hate her, a movie star won't leave her alone, and God stopped talking to her. Finley was on a journey to work her way through all of her problems, but she couldn't let some things go. Everything had to be under control, and when it wasn't, she'd control something else.

The descriptions of the Irish setting were wonderful. It's a reason why I enjoy books set in Europe or the United Kingdom, the setting is just different enough from the US and Canada that it feels far more magical and ancient and mystical.

Not the usual sort of book I read. Well, it is and it isn't. At first, I was more intrigued by the traveling to Ireland aspect and Finley dealing with all of her problems while in Ireland while being annoyed by Beckett. The religious part didn't hold much interest for me, mostly because I don't prescribe to any set religion (I'm not an atheist, it's more that I believe there's something out there, but whether or not it's God, I don't know, that's not for me to decide or to judge).

In the end, Finley's struggle with God and faith was rather powerful and heartfelt. I hope understand why people are religious, why they turn to God, that sometimes they need guidance and support and love and believe their faith in God will bring that to them.

While not my usual cup of tea, I still enjoyed the story very much, enjoyed Finley's journey and the book's powerful message. Sometimes you have to just stop and listen, to let it all in and let go of what's holding you down. Sometimes it's not that you're alone, but that you're not listening when the message comes at you from a different angle.

(I borrowed an e-book copy from the library.)

No comments:

Post a Comment